The Prospect Heights Neighborhood Development Council

Step 2: Fix your rent
Posted: June 5, 2017 - 8:59am

Take advantage of programs that can reduce your rent

Are you being overcharged?

If you have a stabilized lease, ask DHCR for a copy of your rent history. If it shows you’re paying more than you should be, you can apply to DHCR for a rent reduction. Contact the DHCR Tenant Protection Unit at (718) 739-6400, or by email at

Keep your rent from going up

If your income is less than $50,000 per year, you are a senior citizen or are disabled, and you lease a rent stabilized, rent controlled or Mitchell-Lama apartment, programs offered by the City of New York can help to keep the amount of rent you pay from increasing.

  • The Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) program is for people 62 or more years of age who pay more than 30% of their annual income in rent.
  • The Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE) can help people receiving Federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Federal Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs disability pension or compensation, or Disability-related Medicaid if the applicant has received either SSI or SSDI in the past.

You can find out if you qualify for the City’s Rent Freeze Programs here, where you’ll also find links to the forms you’ll need to apply. LiveOnNY provides assistance in applying for Rent Freeze programs; you can reach them at

Behind and in danger of eviction?

The One Shot Deal is a one-time emergency grant to help people who can't meet an expense due to an unexpected situation or event. To find out if you qualify, visit your local Job Center (the closest one to Prospect Heights is at 495 Clermont  Avenue). You can also contact HRA's Infoline at (718) 557-1399 for more information.


[Prev] Step 1: Prepare yourself

[Next] Step 3: Build your case

[Six Steps home]