The Prospect Heights Neighborhood Development Council

Brooklyn Rent Freeze Housing Event
Start Date: 
March 24, 2017 - 10:00am - 2:00pm
Topic : 
Sponsored By: 
State Senator Jesse Hamilton, LiveOn NY
Brooklyn Public Library, Central Library
10 Grand Army Plaza
United States

If you meet the following requirements, you can keep your rent from increasing by enrolling in the NYC Rent Freeze Program:

  • Age 62 years and older, or 18 years and older if disabled
  • Income of $50,000 or less
  • Live in a rent regulated apartment
  • Spend more than 1/3 of your income on rent

Application assistance will be available at this free event at Brooklyn Public Library.

It will help to expedite the process if you bring a copy of all documents in addition to your originals.

One of the following as proof of age: birth certificate, NYCID, US passport, driver’s license, nondriver’s identification, or other state or local document with date of birth on it.

Proof of income for all household members, including yourself and co-tenants, for the calendar year 2016. Proof of income includes but is not limited to:

  • 2016 Federal and State Income tax returns (if filed)
  • 2016W2's and 1099's
  • Social Security benefit award letter/statement (SSA/SSI/SSDI)
  • VA Disability Pension or compensation
  • Disability-related Medicaid
  • Pension statement
  • IRA or Annuity statement
  • Signed letter from boarder stating amount of monthly rental payments
  • Public assistance benefit letter
  • Signed letter from friend/family stating amount of monetary assistance to household

Rent-Stabilized Apartments—Bring in all that apply: prior and current lease signed by both you and your landlord; preferential rent rider; or Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) or 80/20 rider or 60/40 rider (if applicable).

Rent-Controlled Apartments—Bring in a copy of each of these: Notice of Maximum Collectible Rent (form RN-26) for prior year and current year and the Certification of Fuel Cost Adjustment (form RA3310) for prior and current year.

Rent-Regulated Hotel Units—Bring in a copy of one of these: DHCR rent history or DHCR annual apartment registration for prior and current year and signed letter from the Management or Owner indicating current and prior rent.

Mitchell-Lama or HDFC Cooperatives—Visit the HPD website for a list of documents needed and for more information at: or call (212) 863-8494.

For more information on SCRIE or DRIE, go to NYC Department of Finance website:


To RSVP and for more information, call (347) 450-8162 or email

Open to: 
General public